GPS Input

VRTool software support forum

GPS Input

Postby mclean » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:36 am

Hi Omar

Everyone in the Sailonline game uses the Bluewater Racing weather router because there's an easy way to get boat positions into the router. It works like this:

Sailonline --> Brainaid's TCP/IP proxy --> NMEA over TCP/IP --> NavMonPC --> NMEA over virtual COM --> Bluewater Racing

This works really well. But VRTool has a superior routing method so I've been trying to get the VRTool GPS module to read NavMonPC's virtual port. It seems to recognize the port OK but it wont read the NMEA data.

Any thoughts on how to make this work?

I know there are other ways to redirect TCP/IP to virtual COM, but NavMonPC is a nice interface with everthing built in and it's free.

Even better would be a NMEA over TCP/IP interface built into VRTool. That should be a generic way to connect to any game - all it would need is someone to write a proxy for each game. It could also be useful on board in real life if you are using a tablet over Wifi.

PS: To download Brainaid's proxy for Sailonline you need to log in as a race competitor - the downloaded proxy is customized to each race and boat. But I imagine someone of your genius would be able to check out the virtual COM interface without the TCP/IP input!
mclean

Re: GPS Input

Postby omar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:51 pm

I have a NMEA decoder in Navigator GPS COM interface, for the main GPS position messages.
But not over tcp/ip. I will have a look.

thanks David
omar
Site Admin

Return to VRTool Forum