Weather Routing

VRTool software support forum

Weather Routing

Postby flagpole » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:02 am

I had this working - once only. So I know what it looks like, how it works etc. Looks wonderful BUT – I can’t get it to work a second time. It continually locks up the program and I have to shut it down. Various symptoms – sometimes the screen goes opaque, sometimes I get wide range of many different messages. I can relay them to anyone if they think it might help but examples are; - “the program is not responding” or “Access violation at address 004044BE in module ‘VRTool.exe’. Read of Address 09000000” or “Access violation at ntdll.dll. Write of address 00BB00CE” (and many others).
I have to shut it down & then start again – reload the application (VR Tool) etc. Sometimes rebooting the computer.
Any suggestions about what is going wrong? How to solve it?
flagpole

Re: Weather Routing

Postby JensG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Hey Flagpole
I hope you solved your problem since your post in december.
I am using the version 1.86 beta and the weather routing works fine with full polars etc. Thank you Omar for great tool :)

BUT, sometimes the route guides me a clearly wrong way. That could be directly into a wind arrow with 0,5 knots wind resulting in 11 hours of slow boat and not reaching the target, where I instead easily could go around with 15 knots wind resulting in my boat reaching the target. Why is that? Is it a bug or maybe my settings? If the max angle to destination is too low, I could imagine the problem would arise, but I have set it to 90 which should be enough.

Settings:
#number of branches = 11
max angle to destination: 90
boat wake angle = 36
Auto prune = checked
Add branches = uncheked
Isochrones interval 3
Up to isochrone: 12

Looking forwar to the next start in Clipper this sunday ;)
JensG

Postby Ricoo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi JengS,

Next Clipper leg doesn't start next sunday, it's been delayed. ;)

For weather routing, better choose the classical polars, not the full. (Remember to (re)check to speed interpolation.)
Even if Omar corrected the crash they produced, full polars don't work correctly with WR.

I hope this may help you. You can also raise a bit the "up to isochrone" value. 12 is not much, except if you set a very close destination.
60° should be enough for the max angle to destination, it's also the default value used by MaxSea.
ImageVR ToutoulZ ! . . . . . . . . . . (Tools and stuff for VR races and VRTool)
Ricoo

Postby Neptune » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:42 pm

Is there a V 1.86 or is it a Typo the last one I know of is V 1.83

[quote="JensG"]Hey Flagpole
I hope you solved your problem since your post in december.
I am using the version 1.86 beta and the weather routing works fine with full polars etc. Thank you Omar for great tool :)
Neptune

Postby JensG » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:27 am

Hey Ricoo
Thanks for the quick answer. I have tried the claissical polars too, but same result as the full polars. WR still guides me into the 0,5 knots wind arrow.
Up to isochrone set to 24 does not help (I can reach the target within 12 hours easily if i go around the 0,5 wind arrow). So I think it is a bug, but it is a beta so maybe this is one of the things Omar is working on.
I found out that if the route takes less than 6 hours, the WR guides me correctly around the 0,5 wind arrow, but if the route takes more than 6 hours, the route is changes to go through the 0,5 wind arrow - resulting in 12 hours slow boat. Strange.

Too bad the race has been postboned - at least one week I can see.

Neptune: It is partly a typo with version 1.86. i meant version 1.85. I found the link somewhere on this forum - I cant remember where but i found it when I read threads about WR craching. It is a beta so this is probably why the links is not published. But the new version made my WR not crash.
JensG

Re: 1.86 beta

Postby Photophore » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 am

JensG wrote:Neptune: It is partly a typo with version 1.86. i meant version 1.85. I found the link somewhere on this forum - I cant remember where but i found it when I read threads about WR craching. It is a beta so this is probably why the links is not published. But the new version made my WR not crash.

I confirm: if you download the Vrtool.zip file at the address specified in the message about the 1.83 version, you presently get a file created on March 30, 2010 which contains a 1.86 beta version of Vrtool.
I have noticed in this version, some changes in the User interface.

Nice sunny spring sunday to all.
Photophore

Re: 1.86 beta

Postby omar » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Photophore wrote:..contains a 1.86 beta version of Vrtool...

version 1.90 is available for download.
omar
Site Admin

Postby FS Neroform 100 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Well my friends
I have the same problem ....... I adore VRTools - it's super to watch your friends and rivals ..... also a very good help to calculate routes ....... but unfortunately the weather routing leads me straight into small winds , with an angle of less than 35° against the wind or with an angle of more than 160° with the wind .......
I have never tried tu calculate a short route for less than 12 hours - might be ok then. But all in all I have come to the conclusion that the weather routing doesn't work well.
What's the problem ?? I do use the the default polars and have activated "Interpolate windspeed" .......
Would be nice if somebody could tell me whether I do make something wrong or whether this a problem with VRTools.
I have downloaded the version 1.9 today - same problem
Thanks and good winds to everybody
FS Neroform 100

Postby omar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm

Are you using "full" polars ?
(Weather Routing should not be used with "full" polars.
The current algorithm will have a "narrow" view
of the possible routes with this kind of polars)

I'm using clipper_pro.csv from vrtoutoulz
with interpolation. Params:
- 13 branches per node,
- no branches at ordinary isochrones
- Interval: 1 hr
- Up to isochrone: 60

The problem with this WR algorithm is that it suffers
from the "dimension curse". Choose parameters poorly
and the route tree quickly grows to a large size,
consuming a lot of memory and cpu time.
On the other hand, if parameters are too shy,
the domain of possible routes is not covered.
omar
Site Admin

Postby FS Neroform 100 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Thanks for your fast answer ........ and YES, I'm using "full" polars ....... which probably will be the mistake .......
I'm going to download the normal polars ..... AND TRY AGAIN ....... I'll tell you whether it work's afterwards
And even if not ...... VRTools is a great tool
FS Neroform 100

Next

Return to VRTool Forum